2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2007 07:53:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Arsenic testing near Rocketdyne (CA)

Bubble Trouble
City of Simi Valley forced to test Runkle Canyon water and soil for arsenic

By MICHAEL COLLINS
LA City Beat
July 26, 2007

No sooner had Simi Valley's cadre of concerned citizens, the Radiation Rangers, discovered that arsenic and other heavy metals were fouling the water and soil of Runkle Canyon than the knives came out. The findings of these toxins in the 1,595-acre canyon where Westwood-based KB Home wants to build 461 new residences, were first reported in CityBeat (see cover story "The Radiation Rangers," June 21). The city and local media jumped on the news with a vengeance, as if the citizens group had not already been pleading with the city to test the suspiciously gooey water and muck discovered by a hiker in last Thanksgiving.

Failure to comprehend CityBeat's reporting, whether feigned or not, is no comfort to the residents of Simi Valley alarmed over this already approved development project that lies in the shadow of the extremely polluted Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL), commonly known as Rocketdyne, which is the site of several partial nuclear meltdowns and innumerable radioactive and chemical accidents and spills. An 11-acre drainage from the nuclear area of Rocketdyne leads into Runkle Canyon where we have reported extraordinarily high amounts of the leukemia-causing radionuclide strontium-90 (see our cover story "Neighborhood Threat," March 10, 2005) that, according to our conservative estimates, will launch more than 112 tons of dust generated by the development's grading and construction.

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=5892&IssueNum=216

See also http://enviroreporter.com/runklecanyonnews_analysis.html