2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2007 16:57:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Idaho Privatization Fast Tracked

Would you please circulate this letter sent to Dingell to any parties you think might be interested, including media? Given the nature of your group - oversight on the environment - your folks should be concerned - there is much at stake here.

Thanks!

Chris Borello/CCLT

From: Crborello@aol.com
Re:  Privatization of the Idaho National Lab                   8/17/07

Dear Congressman Dingell and Members of the Committee on Energy & Commerce:

As a concerned US citizen, grassroots leader involved with nuclear waste and therefore a serious stakeholder regarding the proposed privatization (corporatization) of the Idaho National Lab, I am writing to not only express my deep concern, but I am requesting that Oversight & Investigations take immediate action, after learning just yesterday that the situation concerning the Idaho Lab has become critical.

Quite curiously, it is my understanding the same documents deemed too sensitive for release to your Congressional Committee just a few months ago despite the written requests made to DOE, have suddenly become public, but also, conveniently, with a very short period of time now allocated for a review of the Idaho Lab's proposed privatization feasibility study - just 30 days.

I believe it is safe to assume, without proper Congressional scrutiny, including review by objective independent experts with no conflict of interest, the report may very well end up being rubber stamped, with the privatization/corporatization of Idaho Lab resulting, to the detriment of public health and safety.

Therefore, I am writing this letter to Congressman Dingell and all members of the Committee, requesting that our elected officials immediately write the DOE Inspector General requesting that the DOE IG conduct a thorough investigation concerning this report, any previously performed reports, and an indepth analysis of those findings. After speaking personally to an IG representative yesterday, I believe that the DOE IG is indeed interested in such cases, where potential waste, fraud and abuse are of serious concern.

Your June 26th letter to DOE's Secretary Bodman clearly addresses the important work performed by Idaho regarding not only critical oversight of DOE's contract labs ( to prevent shoddy radiation testing) but cited the important role Idaho plays as a radiological technical support/reference for other government agencies like the NRC and the US EPA. My citizens' group can personally attest to the latter, having spent well over a year consulting with Idaho regarding serious testing concerns regarding Plutonium and the questionable, outdated methods still clung to by the US EPA, biasing results at our Superfund Site, where nuclear waste, specifically plutonium, is of concern. Unfortunately, the EPA chose, in our case, to ignore the technical advice and concerns conveyed by Idaho. We fear that without Idaho performing in the future the oversight, auditing of labs, etc. and technical support role it has provided for over a decade now, seriously flawed and outdated radiation testing methods will become the norm throughout the country, potentially masking or underestimating radiation exposures to Americans and nuclear facility workers.

In addition, because nuclear power is reportedly going to be promoted once again in the US as "a safe and clean" alternative energy, one would hope that our elected officials would recognize the importance of good, scientific testing and unimpeachable oversight be maintained. and strengthened - yet, ironically, instead, it is being weakened by the intentional dismantling by the privatization of the Idaho National Lab.!
.
We request that our citizens' group and public/ media be provided with a copy of any letter written to the DOE IG in response to this request.

Very truly yours,

Christine Borello - President

Concerned Citizens of Lake Twp./
Uniontown IEL Superfund Site, Ohio