2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Aug 2007 21:51:19 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Marine fights Lejeune

Justice for Janey
Marine fights Lejeune over the polluted waters he believed caused daughter's death

By Amanda Greene
Wilmington Star-News (NC)
August 26, 2007

Leukemia.

Hearing that word in July 1983, Marine Corps Master Sgt. Jerry Ensminger buckled toward the white tile floor of the Camp Lejeune Naval Hospital in Jacksonville.

The word thundered in his head. How could Janey, his 6-year-old daughter, have cancer? Not his dark-haired angel.

... chances for survival "greatly diminished."

Then he hit the floor.

"I went to my knees and I started sweating, and I soaked my shirt," Ensminger recalled some 24 years later, sitting on the couch at his White Lake home. "I started getting nauseous, and I had to reach deep down inside myself and pull myself together because Janey was resting in the next room."

Ensminger said he didn't cry once in front of his daughter through all her treatments, until her death at age 9 on Sept. 24, 1985, at Duke Children's Hospital and Health Center. But telling Janey's story now makes him sob as if her death happened yesterday.

Just below the former drill instructor's tough exterior is a father's unrelenting grief. It's his constant reminder to seek justice for Janey. Ensminger blames his former employer of 24 years - the Marine Corps - for failing to protect his family against water contamination that he believes caused her illness and her death.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/article/20070826/NEWS/708260433