2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 21 Sep 2007 21:20:02 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Encroachment is a Two-Way Street

[To download the full 6-page report as a 1.7 MB PDF file, go to http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/2-WayStreet.pdf]

Encroachment is a Two-Way Street

By Lenny Siegel
September, 2007

For the past several years, all of the U.S. armed services have been confronting "encroachment," civilian development near the fencelines of military installations as well as under low-level flights paths. Such development often leads to noise complaints by new residents or other property users, and it may increase the risk of accidents. Furthermore, new development often turns military ranges into islands of habitat, increasing military responsibility for protecting threatened and endangered species. Thus, encroachment has threatened the ability of ground troops to train and air services to operate.

While the Pentagon's proposals to weaken several environmental regulations have received most of the attention from the press, advocacy organizations, and Congress, the Defense Department responded to encroachment on a much broader front. It launched scientific research into the environmental and community impact of its operations. It boosted programs for conducting land use studies in cooperation with local government. It developed systems for managing its natural resources sustainably. And perhaps most important, under what is now known as the Readiness and Environmental Partnership Initiative, it established partnerships with land trusts and local governments to create buffer zones, many of which also serve as protected habitat, around military facilities.

These programs - particularly the buffer zones - have been remarkably successful. Conservation organizations and many local governments are more than willing to partner with the Defense Department. Yet in many locations the armed services find themselves in direct conflict with community activists.

Therefore, the Center for Public Environmental Oversight evaluated public stakeholders' views on encroachment and military range sustainability. In 2007 I visited Camp Lejeune, a major Marine Corps base in North Carolina, and Army facilities on O'ahu, Hawaii. At both sites I met with community members and military range officials. In addition, in the course of my work I was contacted by community members near air bases such as Shaw Air Force Base (South Carolina) and the Key West Naval Air Station. Their complaint was additional noise resulting from changes in military air operations. I also heard from Colorado residents concerned about the planned expansion of Ft. Carson's Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site.

Though activists and other concerned residents tend to support the military's ventures into sustainability, they often tell a different story from Defense officials about encroachment. They appear most upset when the military expands its operations into new areas - that is, where the armed forces are encroaching on civilian activity. I did not try to referee disputes between the military and its neighbors. Rather, I sought to document community concerns, which are inherently influenced by subjective perception.