2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2007 01:02:17 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Schofield Barracks (HI) chem weapons disposal

Contract given to destroy Schofield chemical weapons

By William Cole
Honolulu Advertiser
October 3, 2007

A Colorado company said it has been awarded a contract for up to $4.6 million to destroy approximately 70 recovered chemical weapons at Schofield Barracks.

Denver-based CH2M Hill said it will set up its portable "Controlled Detonation Chamber" technology at Schofield, provide technical support during operations, and disassemble and remove the system once the project is completed.

In early 2006, the Army said it destroyed six rounds containing chloropicrin, an asphyxiator used in World War I. Army officials said 152 rounds with chloropicrin and phosgene, another choking agent, were discovered during the cleanup of an old range that was to be used for the Stryker brigade.

The reason for the old weapons' presence was a mystery, but Kendrick Washington, a spokesman at the time, said, "We suspect that these rounds were used for military training or quality control testing during World War II.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Oct/03/br/br3201748569.html