2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 23:02:22 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Pacific Northwest Labs (WA)

DOE recommends fining Battelle for nuclear safety violations

By SHANNON DININNY/ASSOCIATED PRESS
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER (WA)
January 3, 2008

YAKIMA, Wash. -- The U.S. Department of Energy on Thursday recommended a
$288,750 fine against Battelle Memorial Institute for nuclear safety
violations at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland.

However, Battelle is exempt from civil penalties for nuclear safety
violations under its current contract and will not have to pay the fine.
A nonprofit, Battelle does not plan to appeal the recommendation,
spokesman Greg Koller said.

"Our performance certainly wasn't adequate here. We failed to live up to
our own expectations and values," Koller said. "But, that said, we did
mount a comprehensive response to these events, and we're committed
strongly to implementing the corrective actions that were identified in
all of this."

Among the steps taken by Battelle were improved training, more rigorous
radiation surveys and adjustments to workers' handling procedures for
sealed radiological sources, Koller said.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420ap_wa_battelle_violations.html