2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:35:04 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: Scott Air Force Base (IL)

Where not to build

By Aaron Sudholt
St. Clair County Journal (IL)
April 8, 2008

As communities boom in the Metro East and cities across St. Clair County
gear up for new development, county officials are moving to ensure that
one of the region's greatest revenue sources stays right where it is.

The Joint Land Use Study, commissioned by the County Board and Scott Air
Force Base in May, has been examining the type of zoning that will be
permitted around the air base and MidAmerica Airport that will not
interfere with aircraft coming to and from each.

"We're working in conjunction with the communities that surround the
base - Lebanon, Shiloh, O'Fallon and Mascoutah," County Board Chair Mark
Kern said. "We're coming up with an agreed-upon way to control
development around the base so that it is compatible with the ongoing
mission at Scott Air Force Base."

The study is aimed at preventing development in each of the neighboring
communities from encroaching too closely to the air base and airport
that might make continued use too dangerous.

http://stclairjournal.stltoday.com/articles/2008/04/08/news/sj2tn20080405-0406fhj-jointlanduse.ii1.txt