2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Ft. Lawton (WA) homeless housing

Homeless housing plans at Fort Lawton ruffle Magnolia residents

By Sanjay Bhatt
Seattle Times (WA)
April 26, 2008

Many residents in Seattle's affluent Magnolia neighborhood are fuming
over plans to house homeless people near Discovery Park at
soon-to-be-closed Fort Lawton.

At one community meeting, some residents wondered whether homeless
housing at the fort would attract wife-beaters, sex offenders and crack
addicts. They rolled their eyes when city officials asserted that such
housing increases property values. They worried about the impact on
schools and scoffed at the idea of homeless people shopping at the
closest grocery — which sells pheasant-and-rosemary pâté for $9.99 and
ground coffee for up to $18 a pound.

"We're the ones who live here, and we want to have a nice, safe
neighborhood to live in," Donald Raz, a King County deputy prosecutor
and Magnolia resident, said later.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004374934_ftlawton26m.html