2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:49:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Concord (CA) vs. Navy

Concord takes on the Navy

By Lisa Vorderbrueggen
Contra Costa Times
July 18, 2008

Concord and the Navy are playing a serious game of political chicken over the 5,000-acre Concord Naval Weapons Station.

The Navy is insisting the city meet a Sept. 20 deadline to select a development plan and craft a deal for the provision of facilities for the homeless or it will strip Concord of its federal status as the lead planning agency for the mothballed base.

The feds say they have a schedule to keep.

They must comply with federal environmental laws before cleaning up the base and selling the land, and they say they can't start the analysis until the city finishes the job it promised to do in the time frame it promised to do it.

"We want to get this property off our books," said Department of Defense Deputy Undersecretary Wayne Arny. "It's costing us money to maintain it, money we could be using to buy airplanes and personnel."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/columns/ci_9928728