2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 11:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: Kelly Air Force Base (TX) neighborhood vapor intrusion

[I don't want to alarm people unnecessarily either, but my reading of the data is that for the first time vapor intrusion has been confirmed in the neighborhoods near Kelly Air Force Base. The data thus far shows marginally unacceptable risk at some locations, suggesting the need for more data. Soil gas and indoor air results are notoriously subject to geospatial and temporal variability, so levels could be higher in some homes. From what I've heard, EPA has been telling people that PCE has not been found at "harmful," levels, but the data does not support that assertion. - LS]

Toxic chemical levels 'not alarming'

Anton Caputo
San Antonio Express-News (TX)
July 27, 2008

Underground toxic chemicals do not appear to be seeping into homes just north of the defunct Kelly AFB at dangerous levels, according to federal regulators who conducted air quality testing in five area homes.

The recently released test results show two of five homes with levels of toxins at or near screening levels that could trigger more federal scrutiny. But Cheryl Overstreet, a toxicologist with the Environmental Protection Agency, termed the results "not alarming at all." Still, the agency would like to return this winter for a battery of tests to determine if there is any seasonal variability in the level of chemicals.

"I'm hoping that this is not the end," Overstreet said. "To make the data more robust we would like to have more of it."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Toxic_chemical_levels_not_alarming.html