2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:49:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE: On Mars

[I thought I had heard everything when scientists said that perchlorate could form in thin air. But this is even further out. - LS]

Perchlorate found on Mars makes soil less Earthlike

By J.R. Minkel
Scientific American 60-Second Science Blog
August 4, 2008

Martian soil may be less Earthlike and less hospitable to life than researchers believed.

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has found traces of perchlorate in two soil samples analyzed during the past month, the space agency announced today. The results appeared to be the same ones rumored this weekend by AviationWeek.com to have been seen by the White House and to reflect Mars's habitability for life.

Perchlorate, or ClO4, is a naturally occurring and man-made chemical that is the primary ingredient in solid rocket fuel, according to the EPA. Where such a contaminant might have come from is unclear. The fuel in the thrusters that Phoenix used to land on Mars was made of hydrazine, not perchlorate.

http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=perchlorate-found-on-mars-makes-soi-2008-08-04