2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:53:38 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REALIGNMENT: Middletown (CT) training facility

[This reminds me of the Army's position here at Moffett Field, where it is building a similar training center. The Army took the position that the force of law of the recommendations of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission meant that there was only one development alternative. We didn't challenge that position outright because we aren't opposed to the facility. We just want better planning. - LS]

Middletown To Army Corps: Stop Pursuing Westfield Site

By JOSH KOVNER
Hartford Courant (CT)
August 5, 2008

MIDDLETOWN -

The common council Monday night passed a resolution urging the Army Corps of Engineers to stop pursuing a site in Westfield for a large National Guard regional training base.

The overflow crowd of Westfield residents cheered the decision, though it's not binding on the Army Corps.

Council members and Mayor Sebastian Giuliano want the Corps to reconsider other properties on the southeastern side of the city, along the Route 9 corridor.

The action came on the same day that Gov. M. Jodi Rell urged the Corps to shrink the project and Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal indicated possible court action if the Corps proceeds on the Westfield property at Middle Street and Boardman Lane.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/mr/middletown/hc-midcouncil0805.artaug05,0,2719481.story