2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 11:07:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUDS: Ft. McArthur school site (CA)

School site 'clean' despite toxins
LAUSD: Study assesses soil at proposed campus on ex-Fort MacArthur land.

By Melissa Pamer
Torrance Daily Breeze (CA)
August 23, 2008

Despite finding elevated levels of arsenic and lead in the soil, Los Angeles Unified School District officials said last week that the San Pedro site of a proposed new magnet high school is safe.

At a public hearing Wednesday at which LAUSD officials discussed an 8,400-page environmental report that was released two weeks earlier, consultants said that the toxins found at a 39-acre district-owned site on the Upper Reservation of the Army's former Fort MacArthur were comparatively benign.

"If you were to ask me if this site were contaminated - no," said Walt Grinyer, one of the district's environmental consultants with Geosyntec. "I've worked at a lot of military sites. Any base would take this site in a heartbeat compared to what they have."

http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_10288393