2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:38:30 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CONTRACTORS: La Puente unit, San Gabriel Valley, California

Our View: No more delays on groundwater cleanup

Editorial
Pasadena Star-News (CA)
January 13, 2010

WITHOUT a doubt, the latest snag in the ongoing San Gabriel Valley/Whittier Narrows groundwater cleanup could be huge. It has the potential to delay progress for years or add hundreds of millions of dollars to the price tag.

Because we believe the EPA, the San Gabriel Basin Water Quality Authority and the companies responsible for this contamination - Northrop Grumman and United Technologies Corporation - are poised to solve this snafu and resume full cleanup in the La Puente portion of the basin.

One quarter would be blended with non-contaminated water and used for drinking, and the rest discharged down the San Gabriel River. Unfortunately, the parties failed to notice high levels of selenium, a naturally occurring element, which can interfere with the ability of microorganisms and fish to reproduce.

For the entire editorial, see
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_14181794