2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:22:38 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION, DISPOSAL: Utah and depleted uranium

Public largely critical of depleted uranium disposal
Safety - State has already borne a heavy burden from the nuclear industry, one Utahn says.

By Judy Fahys
Salt Lake Tribune
January 26, 2010

Utah's depleted uranium regulations should ensure no harm will come to the public or the environment as long as the waste remains dangerous -- and that, said some Utahns on Tuesday, means the radioactive waste does not belong in a shallow disposal site in western Utah.

"What disturbs me is that this company thinks we are so dumb in this state that we don't understand what is going on," testified Jeri Roos, at the Utah Division of Radiation Control's public hearing on a proposed regulation for depleted uranium.

EnergySolutions says it already has buried about 49,000 tons of depleted uranium at its mile-square disposal site 80 miles west of Salt Lake City. And one of three controversial shipments (totaling another 11,000 tons) awaits disposal from the government cleanup of the Savannah River atomic-bomb site in South Carolina.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14275000