2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 11:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EXPANSION: Sutley visits Guam

Obama's environment advisor visits

Sutley: White House is committed to revised EIS

By Steve Limtiaco
Pacific Daily News (GU)
March 23, 2010

The president's chief environmental adviser yesterday said the Obama administration is committed to getting an environmental impact statement for the pending military buildup that adequately describes the impacts and how to address them.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in February called the draft Environmental Impact Statement for the buildup "environmentally unsatisfactory," and said the buildup will make the island's existing water problems worse. The military plans to transfer 8,000 Marines and their dependents to a new base on Guam by 2014.

"We are here to hear from Guam residents and leaders about the concerns they have, the issues they have," said Nancy Sutley, chairwoman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, during a brief press conference yesterday afternoon outside the University of Guam's marine laboratory. "We are here as a federal family to listen to what the people of Guam have to say."

For the entire article, se
http://www.guampdn.com/article/20100323/NEWS01/3230303