2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: Hadnot Point, Camp Lejeune (NC)

I've just received a note from one of the Camp Lejeune vets about my introductory comment (below):

"Not true, this is previously undisclosed source we had no idea existed until last year."

I stand corrected.

LS

Lenny Siegel wrote:
[This isn't a surprise. Jerry Ensminger has been talking about this source for years. - LS]

Documents: Tanks leaked fuel near Camp Lejeune well

By BARBARA BARRETT
McClatchy Newspapers
June 24, 2010

Federal scientists studying the history of water contamination at Camp Lejeune, N.C., have learned of another source of leaking fuel - this one less than a football field away from a drinking well that once served thousands of Marines and their families.

The well was closed in December 1984 after benzene was found in the water.

The source of contamination that scientists now are exploring was once an on-base refueling station within an area of the Marine base known as Hadnot Point. The refueling facility, Building 1115, contained seven underground storage tanks that ranged in size from 1,000 to 5,000 gallons.

The extent of the contamination on the Marine base - and its sources - are important to federal scientists at the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, an arm of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, who are trying to understand the health effects of the contaminants in the base's water.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/24/1699330/documents-tanks-leaked-fuel-near.html