2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HEALTH: DOE Inspector General evaluates Kansas City Plant

Environment and Worker Safety Control Systems at the National Nuclear Security Administration's Kansas City Plant

U.S. Department of Energy
Office of Inspector General
Office of Audit Services
Audit Report DOE/IG-0839
September 2010

SUMMARY

The Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration's Kansas City Plant is located within the Bannister Federal Complex in Kansas City, Missouri, which also houses the General Services Administration and other agencies. Current and former employees and families of former employees of the Bannister Complex have recently raised concerns about serious illnesses, in some cases leading to death, resulting from exposure to toxins at the Complex. Due to the seriousness of the health issues that were raised, the Office of Inspector General initiated an audit to determine whether the Kansas City Plant had controls in place to protect the environment, and, the health and safety of its employees.

In summary, we found that the Department, at the time of our review, had established and implemented controls designed to provide reasonable assurance that the environment and workers at the Kansas City Plant were adequately protected. Further, while we cannot provide absolute assurance, the results of our work indicated that the systems were working as intended.

For the entire report, see
http://www.ig.energy.gov/documents/IG-0839.pdf