2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:35:34 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EXPANSION, GLOBAL: Okinawa

When the Pentagon "Kill Machines" Came to an Okinawan Paradise
The Undermining of Democracy in Japan

By MARK DRISCOLL
Counterpunch
he Undermining of Democracy in Japan

When I arrived at the small village of Takae in the northernmost part of the main island of Okinawa to spend 5 days at a sit-in protest there in mid-July, my first image of the place was the unusual municipal charter that greeted me as I got off the bus....

It's hard to avoid the descriptive mantra of Okinawan life as "simple and slow" in Japanese lifestyle magazines (with, in the last two years, "sustainable" [saiseisan] commonly appended) and perusal of these magazines convinced Naoko and Kôji Morioka to relocate to Takae four years ago. Amateur organic farmers and part-time artists raised in Tokyo, they had lived in Africa, India and Nepal before relocating with their two small kids to Takae to start full-time organic rice farming. Also refusing electricity, they built a small house from scratch just 30 yards north of a gorgeous waterfall and 300 yards from the sea, determined both to pioneer a new path of zero growth against Japanese postmodern capitalism and to enjoy the close community of Takae, consisting of farmers, fisherfolk and several convivial story-tellers/drunks. While about a fourth of Takae's 160 residents are eco-conscious transplants from Tokyo and their kids, several claim descendants going back a millennium who have enjoyed the fruits (mango) and vegetables that grow wild in the area. Right smack in the middle of this sustainable paradise is where a large part of the newest US military base is about to be built.

http://www.counterpunch.org/driscoll11022010.html