2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:10:51 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] BIODEFENSE: Homeland Security labs, Ft. Detrick (MD)

Dr. Oz shows off Fort Detrick's Homeland Security lab today

By Megan Eckstein
Frederick News-Post (MD)
November 16, 2010

Today's episode of The Dr. Oz Show will give the national audience a look at something most local residents have not even seen: the Department of Homeland Security's containment lab at Fort Detrick.

Two weeks ago, Mehmet Oz and his production team got a sneak peek at the yet-to-open National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center lab. Today's episode features a walk-through of the $147-million facility and its two core missions: threat characterization to determine how the U.S. is susceptible to bioterrorism and biocrime, as well as bioforensics to track down the culprit in the aftermath of an attack.

"I think there is a lot of fear and misunderstanding about bioterrorism and I wanted to do a story on the preparations that have been made and the anatomy of the response to an attack," Oz wrote in an e-mail Monday to the News-Post.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?storyID=112470