2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:54:19 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: Clearing Bear Island (NC)

Bear Island searched for UXO

Lance Cpl. Victor A. Barrera
Camp Lejeune Globe (NC)
November 24, 2010

Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune is being a responsible neighbor and ensuring that a half mile of Bear Island on Hammock’s Beach State Park, N.C., is free of unexploded ordnance.

"Roughly a year ago, when we discovered that a section of Bear Island fell in range of one of our rocket training areas, we conducted an aerial survey with a magnetometer and discovered metal under the surface of the beach, as well as the surrounding waters," said Dutch Schulz, a range development project officer with MCB Camp Lejeune. "Now we are reviewing what they found and ensuring that no unexploded ordnance is in the area."

Bristol Environmental Remediation Services, the company tasked with the job of locating any UXO, has investigated more than the 130 metallic readings on the island. As the mission drew to an end, they were proud to say that, although they had uncovered many metallic objects, none of them were unexploded ordnance.

http://www.camplejeuneglobe.com/news/inside_lejeune/article_93c5a5c4-f722-11df-9f8e-001cc4c03286.html