2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 08:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PRESERVATION: "Moffett Field's [CA] Hangar One windows to come down"

Moffett Field's Hangar One windows to come down

By Jesse Dungan
Palo Alto Daily News (CA)
May 3, 2011

The distinctive, corrugated windows that have been part of Hangar One since it was built in the 1930s are too damaged to preserve and will have to come down as crews dismantle much of the landmark structure in Mountain View, according to the U.S. Navy.

Preservationists had hoped to see the windows left alone as a Navy contractor removes the hangar's exterior panels, leaving the frame to be re-skinned in the future. The thick, wavy windows are reinforced with chicken wire and preservationists say they are an important part of the structure's history.

"I'm very disappointed but I understand if they aren't in good shape and don't know what else we can do," Lenny Siegel, a Hangar One advocate and Moffett Field Restoration Advisory Board member, said Tuesday.