2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:10:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] COMMUNITIES: Federal Agencies Sign Environmental Justice Memo

News Releases
U.S. EPA
August 4, 2011

Obama Administration Advances Efforts to Protect Health of U.S. Communities Overburdened by Pollution / Federal Agencies Sign Environmental Justice Memorandum of Understanding

WASHINGTON - Building on its commitment to ensuring strong protection from environmental and health hazards for all Americans, the Obama Administration today announced Federal agencies have agreed to develop environmental justice strategies to protect the health of people living in communities overburdened by pollution and provide the public with annual progress reports on their efforts. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Nancy Sutley and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder were joined by agency heads across the Administration in signing the âMemorandum of Understanding on Environmental Justice and Executive Order 12898â (EJ MOU).

"All too often, low-income, minority and Native Americans live in the shadows of our society's worst pollution, facing disproportionate health impacts and greater obstacles to economic growth in communities that canât attract businesses and new jobs. Expanding the conversation on environmentalism and working for environmental justice are some of my top priorities for the work of the EPA, and we're glad to have President Obama's leadership and the help of our federal partners in this important effort," said EPA Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. "Every agency has a unique and important role to play in ensuring that all communities receive the health and environmental protections they deserve. Our broad collaboration will mean real progress for overburdened communities."

For the entire release, see
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/ bd4379a92ceceeac8525735900400c27/28420a5ae8467cf5852578e200635712! OpenDocument

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918