2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 19:28:41 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE: Inland Empire [CA] Perchlorate Ground Water Plume Assessment Act,

House committee approves Baca's bill to study perchlorate contamination

By Amanda Getchel,
San Bernardino County Democrat Examiner (CA)
November 17, 2011

A San Bernardino County representative’s bill to study water contamination of a rocket fuel additive is one step closer to passage after a House committee approved it on Thursday.

Rep. Joe Baca (D-Rialto) introduced H.R. 200, the Inland Empire Perchlorate Ground Water Plume Assessment Act, days after the 112th Congress began at the beginning of January. On Thursday, the House Natural Resources Committee unanimously approved the legislation, which paves the way for a vote on final passage by the entire House of Representatives. The bill would direct the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study of water resources and perchlorate contamination in the Inland Empire. It specifically orders the United States Geological Survey to study the Rialto-Colton water basin and the perchlorate contaminated plume found in Rialto.

"Many families in the Inland Empire are concerned about the quality and safety of the water they drink," Rep. Baca said in a press release about the committee’s vote. "My legislation calls for a much- needed USGS study of the Rialto-Colton water basin in order to find the best possible solutions to cleaning up the perchlorate contamination in our area. I thank Natural Resources Committee Chairman Doc Hastings and Ranking Member Ed Markey, for working with me to move this legislation forward. Every American deserves access to clean, safe drinking water, and my bill helps to safeguard this essential right for Inland residents."

http://www.examiner.com/democrat-in-los-angeles/house-committee- approves-baca-s-bill-to-study-perchlorate-contamination