2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:48:12 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] BIODEFENSE, COMMUNITIES: Ft. Detrick (MD) Committee marks one year of activity

Local research lab watchdog group marks one year

By Pete McCarthy
Frederick News-Post (MD)
November 13, 2011

The Containment Laboratory Community Advisory Committee is keeping a close watch on research laboratories in Frederick County. Marking its first anniversary as an organization, the committee's seven regular members and a handful of others continue to seek more accountability from these labs.

"We're not trying to be unsupportive of our growing biotech industry in our community, but we're trying to discern where the gaps are," Chairwoman Beth Willis said. "This is the first time ever that there is a conversation going on where people can discuss concerns. ... This has never happened before, and we think a whole lot more needs to go on."

Concerned residents banded together in November 2010 with the goal of establishing better lines of communication among the public, the county, officials at Fort Detrick, and officials at other containment labs in Frederick County that work with potentially harmful chemicals.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm? StoryID=128297