2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 07:26:37 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HEALTH, VOCs: Former Senator Elizabeth Dole calls for Camp Lejeune (NC) vets medical care

Congress and Camp Lejeune's water

OPINION BY ELIZABETH DOLE
Charlotte News & Observer (NC)
January 10, 2012

The contamination of Camp Lejeune's water supply, which involves several hundred thousand Marines, sailors, their families and civilian employees who were posted to the installation from the mid-1950s to the mid-1980s, is a sad chapter in the Marine Corps' otherwise superlative history.

As a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, I fought to expose the facts about the Camp Lejeune water contamination and to expedite notification to all potential victims. My legislation requiring the Pentagon to provide such direct notification through a registry was signed into law. The Corps, however, has not utilized the registry to directly inform military families about the EPA's determination.

The provision of medical care for the people made ill by the contaminants in the installation's drinking water must now be addressed through the legislative process. The cost of that care may eventually be high in terms of dollars. We must, nevertheless, meet our nation's ethical and moral responsibilities.

For the entire column, see
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/01/10/1765270/congress-and-camp- lejeunes-water.html