2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:43:39 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fwd: Dugway Mining Disrict, Tooele County Utah

Begin forwarded message:

From: Floyd Cannon <floydcannon@yahoo.com>

Lenny,

I appreciate your help in getting the word out about the Yellow Jacket Project and Project Sphinx.  However, the Corps of Engineers did remediation work but the property my brother and I own is still under a cloud of suspicion about hazards on our property.  My sister partitioned the Cannon property in Dugway Mountain.  She kept the Yellow Jacket claim and surrounding area over which most Army tests were made.  However, our property is painted with the same brush as her property even though our patented claims were not involved.  It is impossible to develop our property when we are associated with her property.

I sent a Declaration by email to you earlier and would appreciate it if you could get the word out somehow that the property my brother and I own are not involved with the property of our sister.

Here is a copy of the Declaration:

Declaration that the Patented Mining Claims Owned by Floyd Douglas Cannon, Allan Robert Cannon and Jubilee Resources, LLC in the Dugway Mining District, Tooele County, Utah are Free of Munitions and Test Debris

In the spring of 1945, the Army launched Project Sphinx to determine techniques to overcome the fortifications encountered in capturing Okinawa.  Under Project Sphinx, several types of conventional and incendiary weapons were tested in and around the Dugway Proving Grounds (DPG), mainly on the Yellow Jacket Range in the Dugway Mountains south of DPG, which included mining tunnels that simulated Japanese Cave Type Fortifications.  The mines known as Yellow Jacket in the southeast portion of the Dugway Mining District (not owned by Floyd Douglas Cannon, Allan Robert Cannon or Jubilee Resources, LLC), was mainly used as a target in Project Sphinx.  The area was designated a Formerly Used Defense Site (FUDS).

Section Chief Gerald Vincent, of the Corps of Engineers, Base Realignment and Closure and Formerly Used Defense Sites (“BRAC/FUDS”) Section Chief in the Project and Program Management Division at the Sacramento District, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (“USACE”) stated concerning tests on patented mining claims owned by Floyd Douglas Cannon, Allan Robert Cannon and Jubilee Resources, LLC: “…we have no documentation that shows that it was ever used or any actions were taken by DOD.”  So, patented mining claims owned by Floyd Douglas Cannon, Allan Robert Cannon and Jubilee Resources, LLC contain no munitions or debris and as Mr. Vincent stated, “there should be no DOD-impacted hazards out there.”  Also, Mr. Vincent said, “…we don’t have any documentation that any of these outlying areas were used by DOD for any activity that would generate hazard.”

Thanks for any help you can give.