2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 11:54:50 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS, FORMER SITES: Army probes Tidewater Community College property at former Nansemond Ordnance Depot (VA)

Army probes TCC property

By Matthew Ward
Suffolk News-Herald (VA)
April 3, 2012

The U.S. Corps of Engineers has identified new areas of possible munitions contamination at the former North Suffolk military depot now earmarked for a multi-million dollar makeover.

Jeff Zoeckler, former Nansemond Ordnance Depot project manager for the corps' Norfolk division, said the areas were revealed after geophysical mapping of the site’s shoreline last year.

"The shoreline along the property is heavily eroding, especially during events like hurricanes and nor'easters, so we had couple of areas where some items had been exposed during recent storm events," Zoeckler said.

"So that caused us to go back and say, 'Well, we really want to look at the shoreline as a whole.'"

http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/2012/04/03/army-probes-tcc-property/