2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:17:45 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CLEANUP, MUNITIONS: Iowa Army Ammunition Plant "big picture"

The big picture on IAAP cleanup

RAB discusses projects that are under way.

By CHRISTINIA CRIPPES
Hawkeye (IA)
April 12, 2012

OU. MMRP. CERCLA. DERP.

It's not gibberish. They're just a few of the acronyms associated with the environmental cleanup at the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant that were contaminated from work at the Middletown facility.

The Restoration Advisory Board that was established to keep track of the governmentese and work being done at the plant talked about the big picture of the cleanup efforts during its quarterly public meeting Tuesday.

"It's pretty obvious to me that we're making progress on the off-site plume ... but we've got a ways to go," said Rick Arnseth of Tetra Tech, who offered an update on the RDX contamination in groundwater outside the plant's boundaries.

Alex Smith of Shaw Environmental & Infrastructure Group, updated the board on the military munitions response program - the acronym is MMRP.

The program identified eight sites, including the central test area, the west burn pads and a possible demolition site.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/rab-041912