2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 09:31:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUEL: Hampton Roads (VA) underground storage tanks

(in case you're wondering why I haven't been cluttering your In Boxes for a while, I've been on vacation. It will take me a while to post the news stories that came in while I was traveling. - LS)

News Release
U.S. EPA Region 3
April 26, 2012

U.S. Navy Settles Underground Storage Tank Violations at Hampton Roads Facility

PHILADELPHIA -- The U.S. Navy has agreed to pay a $5,855 penalty to settle alleged underground storage tank (UST) violations at its Building NH94, located at 7918 Blandy St., Norfolk, Va., the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced today.

There are three 25,000-gallon underground storage tanks at this facility containing diesel fuel. Each UST is required to be tested every three years to make sure the tank is not corroded and that the corrosion protection system is operating properly. During a March 2011 inspection, the inspectors found that these tanks had not been tested since 2004.

The $5,855 settlement penalty reflects cooperation of the U.S. Navy with EPA in the investigation and resolution of this matter. The Navy has certified its compliance with applicable UST requirements and the tanks were tested for corrosion on April 4, 2011.

For the entire release, see
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/ 0/19ffd8c85cbb1a41852579ec0061f92a?OpenDocument

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918