2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:57:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: Phosphorous on rocks may have caused woman's shorts to catch fire, San Onofre, CA

From James Barton: James Barton@uwuxo.com

This is a fairly common occurrence in the Baltic Sea where amber hunters encounter pyrophoric substances (burns on contact with air) on the beach like phosphorous. Comes from abandoned munitions; nothing else. It will be more common here on the East Coast once seismic testing destroys shell fragile casings and more chunks of filler begin to wash ashore. But as with the Baltic, East coast beach users may also experience chemical weapons burns for the same reason. This stuff crusts over and can still bite you after 60 years.

I presented a paper on it at a recent BOEMRS listening event in Norfolk, VA and was not surprised to learn they have no threat mitigation protocols in place for seismic testing in munitions contaminated waters. Offered to help write one but have not heard back. This is the beginning, not the end. It doesn't have to get worse than it is; there are things we can do. In the Baltic Sea they are not coated rocks; they are solid chunks of crusted over white phosphorous and chemical weapons blister agent. The phosphorous burns until gone; all that is left are innocent rocks beside the burn. At a college campus in VA, yellow rocks a kid burned on a grill to amaze friends turned out to be chunks of TNT. The campus was covered with it, and later moved entirely. In the arctic it is all of that plus Soviet nuclear materials, which I suspect are linked to radiological exposure like symptoms found recently in Polar Bears and other mammals; all since seismic testing took off. Toxic Dumps there are frightening, but not enough to scare off those searching for oil. None of this is a laughing matter. Neither is the beaches closed on the shores of Lake Michigan or Lake Erie for explosive filled munitions. The stuff is everywhere. I'm writing a book about what we can do about it. It's long overdue...