2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 15:01:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: Steel-core bullets

[I don't believe we covered this when it came out more than a year ago. - LS]

New Army Ammo Puts Mean in ?Green?

by Christian Lowe
Military.com
May 5, 2011

ABERDEEN, Md. --- Tell a Soldier he's loading "environmentally friendly" ammo into his M4 mag and he might be skeptical about whether it's as effective as its lead counterpart.

But Army officials here say the new M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round -- with its steel core instead of a toxic lead slug -- is far more effective than the current round, doubling the effective range and for the first time giving M4-wielding Joes the ability to penetrate barriers once reserved for higher-caliber rounds.

:There's a stigma among Soldiers about something that's 'green,'" said Lt. Col. Jeff Woods, the Army's small caliber ammunition product manager. "This is a clear case where making something environmentally friendly works for us."

http://www.military.com/news/article/May-2011/new-army-ammo-puts-mean- in-green.html