2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:04:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HERBICIDES, GLOBAL: Vietnam Agent Orange cleanup

Agent Orange Vietnam Cleanup Started By U.S.

By MIKE IVES
Associated Press
August 9, 2012

DANANG, Vietnam -- The United States began a landmark project Thursday to clean up a dangerous chemical left from the defoliant Agent Orange – 50 years after American planes first sprayed it on Vietnam's jungles to destroy enemy cover.

Dioxin, which has been linked to cancer, birth defects and other disabilities, will be removed from the site of a former U.S. air base in Danang in central Vietnam. The effort is seen as a long-overdue step toward removing a thorn in relations between the former foes nearly four decades after the Vietnam War ended.

"We are both moving earth and taking the first steps to bury the legacies of our past," U.S. Ambassador David Shear said during the groundbreaking ceremony near where a rusty barbed wire fence marks the site's boundary. "I look forward to even more success to follow."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/agent-orange-vietnam- cleanup_n_1759641.html

See also http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/10/world/asia/us-moves-to- address-agent-orange-contamination-in-vietnam.html
and
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marjorie-cohn/51-years-after-us-began- c_b_1745567.html