2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:50:52 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: Special Exemptions from Toxics Law

[It's shocking, immediately after an election in which pro- environment candidates did well, that the Senate seems about to pass a bill in which is buried a major change to a foundational environmental law (TSCD) without any review by the Environment committee. -LS]

Thanks, but No Thanks: Bill to Carve Special Exemptions from Toxics Law is a Turkey

by Daniel Rosenberg
NRDC Switchboard
November 22, 2012

Like every American, I’m thankful to live in a country that has a reasonably well-functioning democracy – where we can vote for our President and representatives in Congress – where we are not subject to totalitarian or military rule. Recognizing our country faces many problems and challenges, we are fortunate to have a political system where at least theoretically those problems can be resolved, and challenges overcome, through vigorous public discussion, debate and voting.

That’s at the macro level. I’m less thankful that too often the process – and here I’m speaking specifically of the national legislative process – is (mis)used to advance poorly considered legislation through means that subvert the established system, which is based on openness, deliberation, public input, and public accountability. I’ve written previously about one such example – the chemical industry’s efforts to derail the biennial Report on Carcinogens prepared by the National Institutes of Health.

Today I’m writing about an equally misguided effort – to amend the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) to exclude from its jurisdiction any chemical when it is to be used in any component of firearms or fishing tackle. As I described in a recent post, this effort was prompted by petitions -- filed by the Center for Biological Diversity and a large number of science and conservation organizations -- asking the EPA to use its existing authority under TSCA to ban or otherwise regulate the use of lead in ammunition and fishing tackle. The petitions were motivated by the extensive scientific evidence of harm to wildlife and the environment from these widespread uses of lead, as well as some evidence of potential harm to human health. For reasons explained in the previous blog, the EPA denied those petitions, indicating that it had no intention of taking the actions requested in the petitions. CBD and the other organizations have challenged those decisions in court, and the litigation is pending. That entire sequence -- the petition, the petition denial, and the legal challenge -- is fully in keeping with the process established by Congress under TSCA in 1976.

For the entire blog, see
http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/drosenberg/ thanks_but_no_thanks_bill_to_c.html