2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 06:40:50 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION: Hanford (WA) tank leaking

Single-shell tank at Hanford found to be leaking waste

By Annette Cary
Tri-City Herald (WA)
February 16, 2013

An underground single-shell tank at Hanford is leaking up to 300 gallons of radioactive waste a year, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee said Friday.

"I am alarmed and deeply concerned by this news," Inslee said in a press conference. "This is a problem we thought was under control."

Tank T-111 is the first of Hanford's 149 single-shell tanks to apparently leak since pumpable liquids were removed from the last of those tanks in 2004. As many as 67 of the tanks are believed to have leaked in the past.

The tanks contain a mix of high-level radioactive and hazardous chemical waste left from chemically processing fuel irradiated at Hanford reactors to remove plutonium for the nation's nuclear weapons program.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/02/16/2277741/single-shell-tank-at-hanford-found.html

278-A Hope Street