2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 15:33:19 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: Moffett (CA) military families worried about contamination

Military families say they are in the dark about toxics
Residents at Moffett's Wescoat Village worry over TCE, water

by Daniel DeBolt
Mountain View Voice (CA)
April 4, 2013

In an anonymous letter addressed to the Army and the local community late last month, military families living at Moffett Field's Wescoat Village say they have "many concerns and requests" about living above polluted soil and groundwater.

The 181-unit family housing complex -- located behind Moffett's main gate at the north end of Moffett Boulevard -- partly sits above a plume of trichloroethylene (TCE) dumped or leaked over many years by the Navy. The vapors that rise from the ground -- when concentrated in buildings -- can cause cancer from long-term exposures and birth defects from short-term exposures, among other health problems, according to EPA toxicologists.

"Many of us feel we have been living here uninformed with regards to the nearby plume," the letter states. "We worry greatly about the safety of our families and often question the possibility of toxic vapors around us and the toxicity of our soil."

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=6808&e=y