2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:43:40 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: Washington State partnership "to Benefit Agricultural Lands, Wildlife Habitat and Military Readiness"

U.S. Department of Agriculture
News Release No. 0142.13
July 10, 2013

USDA, Interior and Defense Departments Partner to Benefit Agricultural Lands, Wildlife Habitat and Military Readiness

First Sentinel Landscape Pilot in Washington State will Support Local Economy, the Conservation of Natural Resources and National Defense

WASHINGTON - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, Interior Secretary Sally Jewell and Defense Acting Deputy Under Secretary for Installations and Environment John Conger announced today a federal, local and private collaboration that will preserve agricultural lands, assist with military readiness and restore and protect wildlife habitat.

Through the Sentinel Landscapes partnership, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), U.S. Department of the Interior (Interior) and Department of Defense (DoD) will work together in overlapping priority areas near military installations to help farmers and ranchers make improvements to the land that benefit their operation, enhance wildlife habitat, and enable DoD's training missions to continue.

"This is a great example of a federal, local and private collaboration working together to achieve greater results for the American people - in this case by enhancing conservation efforts while ensuring our national defense," Vilsack said. "As a result of this partnership between Federal agencies and private partners, producers will have greater certainty with regard to the environment, we'll protect habitat for at-risk species, and our Armed Forces will retain access to important training opportunities."

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/usdahome?contentid=2013/07/0142.xml