2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 08:43:39 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENERGY: "Electric Vehicle Test Program Comes To NJ Military Base"

[I strongly support the development of Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) systems, so I am pleased that the Defense Department is pioneering in this area. I remember a meeting which I attended along with over 100 Bay Area owners of Nissan LEAF electric cars. Nissan's top engineer asked how many of us had solar generating systems on our homes. About half of us did, and we all expressed interest in some type of V2G pilot. That is, we want to be able to use our cars as storage systems for renewable energy. - LS]

Electric Vehicle Test Program Comes To NJ Military Base

NJ Today (NJ)
October 31, 2013

JOINT BASE MCGUIRE-DIX-LAKEHURST - Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst has been chosen as one of six military bases to take part in the Department of Defense Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Project.

The one-year trial will determine whether the sedans, trucks and other non-tactical vehicles are not only more cost effective, but mutually beneficial to the electrical grid.  V2G systems allow electric vehicles to communicate with the power grid in a way that allows them to charge during periods of low demand and return power to the grid during periods of peak demand.

The program came from the president’s goal to have one million plug-in electric vehicles (PEVs) on the road in the U.S. by 2015. Federal agencies like the DoD will be the vanguard in testing the effectiveness of the vehicles.

The Department of Defense plans to spend $20 million on a fleet of PEVs unique in their ability to export their own power and offset their cost, according to the American Forces Press Service. The cost includes infrastructure, charging stations, software, maintenance and support.

…

278-A Hope Street
Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545