2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:31:08 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENERGY, NATURAL RESOURCES, ENCROACHMENT: DoD-NRDC Renewable Energy Siting Primer

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Natural Resources Defense Council
November 20, 2013

WASHINGTON - A new primer jointly developed by the Department of Defense and the Natural Resources Defense Council addresses for the first time core issues for developing renewable energy sources on or around military ranges, airspace, and installations.

The guidelines, which are designed to better screen solar and wind projects and avoid potential conflicts with military operations or sensitive environmental areas, were shared with nearly 100 renewable energy executives, military leaders and others on a Webinar on Tuesday.

It also is available at: http://www.acq.osd.mil/dodsc/library/ Siting_Renewable_Energy_Primer_5SEP13_FINAL_WEB.pdf

The DoD plans to get 25 percent of its energy from renewables by 2025. Developing more renewable energy sources on federal lands also is a key part of President Obama’s climate change initiative.

"At the Department of Defense we know how important energy security is to national security, and we know that renewable energy is essential to our energy security," said Frank DiGiovanni, director, Force Readiness and Training at the Office of the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense (Readiness)

For the entire release and additional links, see
http://www.nrdc.org/media/2013/131120a.asp