2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 14:57:38 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION, VETERANS: "USS Calhoun County sailors dumped thousands of tons of radioactive waste into ocean"

USS Calhoun County sailors dumped thousands of tons of radioactive waste into ocean

William R. Levesque
Tampa Bay Times (FL)
December 20, 2013

They asked the dying Pasco County man about his Navy service a half- century before. He kept talking about the steel barrels. They haunted him, sea monsters plaguing an old sailor.

"We turned off all the lights," George Albernaz testified at a 2005 Department of Veterans Affairs hearing, "and … pretend that we were broken down and … we would take these barrels and having only steel- toed shoes … no protection gear, and proceed to roll these barrels into the ocean, 300 barrels at a trip."

Not all of them sank. A few pushed back against the frothing ocean, bobbing in the waves like a drowning man. Then shots would ring out from a sailor with a rifle at the fantail. And the sea would claim the bullet-riddled drum.
For up to 15 years after World War II, the crew of Albernaz's ship, the USS Calhoun County, dumped thousands of tons of radioactive waste into the Atlantic Ocean, often without heeding the simplest health precautions, according to Navy documents and Tampa Bay Times interviews with more than 50 former crewmen.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/military/veterans/the-atomic-sailors/ 2157927

See also
http://www.tampabay.com/news/military/effects-of-dumping-radioactive- waste-in-ocean-need-more-study-scientists/2157923 http://www.tampabay.com/news/military/navy-comment-on-the-uss-calhoun- county/2157946