2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 13:38:50 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] NATIONAL GUARD, REUSE: Kingsbridge Armory, Bronx, New York

Bronx Community Wins Big on Development Project Committed to Living Wages and Local Economy

By Laura Flanders
Yes! Magazine
January 6, 2014

Desiree Pilgrim-Hunter never dreamed she’d become an activist. “I was just a mom concerned about school overcrowding,” she says, until a neighbor invited her to a meeting of a local community organization, the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition (NWBCCC). “I was used to people complaining about what was missing in our community," she recalls. "It was at NWBCCC that I first heard people talking about how to bring about solutions."

Public schools in the Bronx were overflowing, she learned, because the population was growing. And although the shopping options in the area were multiplying, investment in public services like schools wasn’t keeping up.

When she joined the board of the Coalition in 2005 and discovered that the local armory was lying empty, Pilgrim-Hunter found herself engaged in a deep public process of imagining what might be brought in to fill the building: not another low-wage mall or a big box store to benefit some far-off owner, but a project that offered real opportunities for her children and her grandchildren; something that would lift the spirits and boost the economy of local people.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/commonomics/kingsbridge-armory-community- benefits-agreement