2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:35:56 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE: Letterkenny Depot (PA) to burn rocket motors in chamber

Letterkenny seeks OK for clean burning of rocket motors

By Jim Hook
Chambersburg Public Opinion (PA)
January 15, 2014

Letterkenny Munitions Center has broken ground for a $32 million project that is to destroy rocket motors more cleanly.

LMC currently burns the motors of tactical missiles in the open air. Rocket motors contain ammonium perchlorate, a chemical known to cause thyroid problems.

The project could be operating within two years and would add a few jobs to the Letterkenny Army Depot tenant.

"We've been working on this since the late 1990s," said Ed Averill, civilian executive assistant at the munitions center. "We looked at several processes. The most simplistic approach was the best."

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/local/ci_24918960/letterkenny- seeks-ok-clean-burning-rocket-motors