2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 09:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES: Sioux Army Depot, Sidney, Nebraska

City likely to label depot site blighted

By Caitlin Sievers
Sidney Sun-Telegraph (NE)
April 28, 2014

A bill passed in the Nebraska legislature last year will make it possible for old defense sites such as Sioux Army Depot to be improved with redevelopment projects.

At last week’s city council meeting Sidney took the first steps toward a substandard and blighted designation for Sioux Army Depot in order to make projects at the site eligible for this sort of project funding.

“We’ve worked with the legislature for years to get them to understand the special circumstances and the challenges that we have with a major part of our community northwest of town as a former military installation and the substandard and blighted conditions for developers to try to turn that into useful properties,” city manager Gary Person told the planning commission last week. “Most of the infrastructure is 70 years old, the buildings are aging, the infrastructure’s aging.”

An economic development team consisting of members from both the city and county worked with state Sen. Ken Schilz to find an economic development plan that would facilitate development at old military bases.

http://www.suntelegraph.com/story/2014/04/28/community/city-likely-to- label-depot-site-blighted/4106.html