2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 18:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Air Force outlines work done on Kirtland [AFB, NM] fuel spill"

Air Force outlines work done on Kirtland fuel spill

Opinion by Ian Smith / Restoration Program Management Office, Air Force Civil Engineer Center
Albuquerque Journal (NM)
June 8, 2014

As the chief of the Air Force’s environmental restoration program management office, I recently attended the regular weekly meeting held by the Air Force Civil Engineer Center with Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque Bernalillo County Water Utility Authority, New Mexico Environment Department and other stakeholders to discuss the investigation and clean-up of the Kirtland Bulk Fuels Facility leak.

Since discovery of the leak 15 years ago, we have worked diligently with local and state authorities to aggressively clean up the spill so it doesn’t affect surrounding communities. In order to keep the community informed, here’s an update of our response to date and future plans related to our commitment to conduct a full clean-up of the spill.

The Air Force’s primary focus is to keep the city’s water supply safe. We put systems in place designed to decrease concentrations within the fuel plume and prevent any impact on the local water supply. To date, monthly sampling by the ABCWUA has detected no contamination from Air Force fuel in Ridgecrest wells.

For the entire column, see
http://www.abqjournal.com/412261/opinion/air-force-outlines-work-done- on-kirtland-fuel-spill.html