2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 18:31:50 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUEL: "Navy Balks at Fuel Tank Advice, " Red Hill Storage Facility (HI)

Navy Balks at Fuel Tank Advice

by Gordon Y.K. Pang
Honolulu Star-Advertiser /Military.com
December 12, 2014

Federal, state and city officials on a task force asked to evaluate the effects of the January fuel leak at the Navy's Red Hill Fuel Storage Facility recommended Thursday that the giant tanks be double- lined to prevent groundwater contamination.

But the Navy continues to have serious objections to that approach.

"I'm not so sure that the best solution is some type of secondary containment," said Navy Capt. Mike Williamson, commanding officer of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command Hawaii and regional engineer Hawaii.

While a double-lining may be one possible remedy, it is "not without flaw," he said. "We agree that further study is warranted."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/12/12/navy-balks-at-fuel-tank- advice.html