2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 22:12:10 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL:"The Tiny Italian Town Killing the U.S. Navy’s Surveillance Plans"

The Tiny Italian Town Killing the U.S. Navy’s Surveillance Plans

Barbie Latza Nadeau
Daily Beast
April 28, 2015

NISCEMI, Italy - Sicilian pensioner Salvatore Terranova blames America for messing with his pacemaker. Every six months or so, he has to drive across the island to Palermo to get it re-calibrated. His doctors told him that he uses the computer and cellphone too much, even though he says he doesn’t actually use electronic devices much at all. Terranova says his pacemaker won’t keep its beat because he lives across a dusty road from the U.S. Navy’s Niscemi Naval Radio Transmitter Facility antenna farm and Mobile User Objective System (MUOS) satellite ground station. “My doctors told me I had to move out to the countryside for my heart,” he told The Daily Beast at a café in the main square here. “But I’m afraid the country life is going to kill me.”

Terranova, who is the base’s closest neighbor, keeps a constant eye on the facility’s two 495-foot-high antennas and the 40 other smaller sensors that flicker on and off, sending low-frequency radio signals to U.S. and NATO ships in the region. He says the antennas aren’t all on at the same time, and that usually when authorities come to test the area for air quality, fewer of its lights are flickering. But he’s really worried that when a trio of new massive satellite dishes go online, the real trouble will begin. He also says that every few weeks or so, the giant “No MUOS” protest sign hanging on his front gate disappears. “It’s the Americans who take it,” he says. “I report their military license plate numbers to the police, but nothing ever happens.”

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/28/the-tiny-italian-town-killing-the-u-s-navy-s-surveillance-plans.html?source=socialflow&via=twitter_page&account=thedailybeast&medium=twitter

278-A Hope Street