2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 08:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFCs: "City asks Air Force to pay for well contamination" at Pease (NH)

City asks Air Force to pay for well contamination

By Jeff McMenemy
Seacoast Online (NHY)
May 3. 2015

PORTSMOUTH - City Manager John Bohenko said the city has asked the U.S. Air Force to “explore treatment options” for the “contaminant of emerging concern” that has already closed one city-owned well and could threaten two others.

“We’ve asked the Air Force to pay for it,” Bohenko said in an interview this week about the contaminant that closed the city-owned Haven well at the Pease International Tradeport. “We’re also going to ask the Air Force to pay for 10 years of operating maintenance.”

His comments came a week after Scott Hilton, project manager for the state Department of Environmental Services’ Pease Superfund site, said the move to shut off the Haven well means it’s now more likely the contamination that closed that well could travel to other wells. “Now that the Haven well is shut off, we are concerned about the impact of the contamination flowing to the southern well field,” Hilton said Friday.

The field, which is located under the transportation center at the tradeport, is the site of the Smith and Harrison wells.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/20150503/NEWS/150509866/101143/NEWS

278-A Hope Street