2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:09:24 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Site A at Alameda Point (CA)

Alameda My Word: Three former mayors urge approval of Site A at former Navy base

By Bill Withrow, Beverly Johnson and Marie Gilmore My Word
Inside Bay Area (CA)
June 10, 2015

Dear Council members:

On Tuesday, you will vote on whether to approve development of Site A at Alameda Point.

We, the city's last three living former mayors, have been involved in reimagining the former Naval Base since 1997. The time is overdue to implement a plan, and you can now deliver it for Alameda.

Since 1993, we have each helped position the city for this opportunity to initiate development at the base and rebound from the severe economic hit caused by the Navy's departure. After decades of hard work and three failed attempts, Alameda has one last chance.

The road to get here has been as rocky as the terrain at the project site. The base was identified for closure in 1993 during Bill Withrow's mayoral term (1991-94), and he kick-started negotiations with the Navy over a no-cost transfer and the community dialogue with the Base Reuse Advisory Group.

…

Fort the entire column, see
http://www.insidebayarea.com/opinion/ci_28292605/alameda-my-word-three-former-mayors-urge-approval

278-A Hope Street