2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 10:26:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: "Mobilize to halt open burning of toxins at the Radford Arsenal"

Mobilize to halt open burning of toxins at the Radford Arsenal

Opinion by Devawn Oberlander
Roanoke Times (VA)
July 8, 2015

Why is the Army allowing its British contractor, BAE Systems, to open burn hazardous waste next to the New River at the Radford Arsenal? How does that fit with the Army's mission to protect the homeland from harm?

Despite what was asserted in Mike Gangloff’s article ("Radford ammunition plant seeks fresh permit for controversial open burning," June 28 news story), there are alternatives available right  now.

…

There is no reason for the children in our community to be exposed to too much lead, mercury or any other toxin. We can stop the burn at the arsenal by demanding that EPA require the facility to purchase the safest technology available.

Open burning is a primitive disposal method that the EPA does not allow under the current permit if an alternative is available. We need Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine and Rep. Morgan Griffith to call on EPA to stop the open burning of hazardous waste to enhance the profit margin of BAE Systems now — not 18 to 24 four months from now.

…

For the entire column, see
http://www.roanoke.com/opinion/oberlender-mobilize-to-halt-open-burning-of-toxins-at-the/article_67f4ebfa-a925-5216-a12a-0ca7a7bb8913.html

278-A Hope Street