2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 16:52:19 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES, PRESERVATION: "Groups want Gen. Patton's Camp Iron Mountain [CA] preserved"

Groups want Gen. Patton's Camp Iron Mountain preserved

by Denise Goolsby
Desert Sun (CA)
October 27, 2015

>From 1942 to 1944, tanks rumbled across the remote cactus-and shrub-studded southeastern Mojave Desert, where hundreds of thousands of soldiers trained for combat during World War II.

At 18,000 square miles, Desert Training Center, a simulated theater of operations – also known as the California-Arizona Maneuver Area – was the largest training ground in military history.

…

A group of about 25 of us met at Luckie Park in Twentynine Palms Thursday morning, and after a round of introductions, we clambered aboard minivans for the drive out to the site. The eclectic group included veterans, family members of veterans and representatives from agencies including the Mojave Desert Land Trust, California Wilderness Coalition and the Amargosa Conservancy, an organization that’s participating in an effort to catalog all the groundwater springs located in the California desert within Bureau of Land Management jurisdiction.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/2015/10/27/groups-want-gen-pattons-camp-iron-mountain-preserved/74488584/

278-A Hope Street